It is time to start the September 2009 Photo Contest.
The theme for this month's contest is "White Horses".
Monthly Category: Pictures of Canoes on the White Horses on the Water in Canoe Country
There is again a special reward for this months contests. Along with winning a hat, Wilderness Passages Magazine, created by long time member QPassage, is giving a free copy of their great magazine and a 2 1/2 hour DVD of Quetico footage to the winner of the photo contest and trip report contest. For more information about Wilderness Passages, you can visit their website at WildernessPassages.com
Remember 1 entry per person please. This helps us vote accurately.
- You must be signed in as a member with a valid email address in your profile to enter (or win).
- You can only enter one photo per monthly contest. You can enter the same photo if it did not win in a previous month.
- You must be the photographer of the photo.
- Photos are entered in the contest by making a reply posting to this message and using the "Add a photo to this message" link during composition. This will allow you to upload a photo from your computer to the contest or allow you to select a photo which you have already loaded into your photo gallery on this site. If you want to enter your photo in another way, please contact us.
- Please describe in the message where the picture is from.
- Judging will be done by the www.bwca.com staff and moderators.
- A member may win once per year.
- Photos must be posted to this message by 11:59pm on Sept 30th.
- Photos must be in jpg or gif format to be uploaded to the site.
Contact me if you have something in a different format or are having problems uploading to the site.
I've never heard the term "white horses" before, at least as it relates to the topic at hand. Now that I see some examples, I'll see what I have. I know I have a few shots, including last month's offering to the contest.
"Keep close to Nature's heart, yourself; and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean." ~ John Muir
Joy is a great teacher, but so is dispair. Wonder is a great teacher, but so is confusion. Hope is a great teacher, but so is disillusionment. And life is a great teacher, but so is death. To deny yourself any of those in any aspect is not experiencing life totally.
Sigurd F. Olson Web Site: Denis Coolican's 1955 Churchill River ...Joining Denis and Sigurd Olson on this trip were Omond Solandt, ..... a small rapids with one or two very large white horses at the bottom of the portage. ...
That's what I thought also. Sorry no pictures either.
Dancing morning mist or white foamy crests? Turns out...it's both.
In "The Singing Wilderness" Sigurd Olson uses the sentence "in the morning when the white horses of the mists are galloping out of the bays". In "The Lonely Land", the term white horses is used in describing the running of rapids.
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau