We have a special announcement for the May Contests. Along with winning a hat, Wilderness Passages Magazine, created by long time member QPassage, is giving a free copy of their great magazine and a 1/2 hour DVD of Quetico footage to the winner of the photo contest and trip report contest. For more information about Wilderness Passages, you can visit their website at:
The theme for this month's contest is "Great Camps". Post your best photos from the bwca/quetico region which shows a great camp setup.
Monthly Category: Great Camps
Remember 1 entry per person please. This helps us vote accurately.
- You must be signed in as a member with a valid email address in your profile to enter (or win).
- You can only enter one photo per monthly contest. You can enter the same photo if it did not win in a previous month.
- You must be the photographer of the photo.
- Photos are entered in the contest by making a reply posting to this message and using the "Add a photo to this message" link during composition. This will allow you to upload a photo from your computer to the contest or allow you to select a photo which you have already loaded into your photo gallery on this site. If you want to enter your photo in another way, please contact us.
- Please describe in the message where the picture is from.
- Judging will be done by the www.bwca.com staff and moderators.
- A member may win once per year.
- Photos must be posted to this message by 11:59pm on May 31st.
- Photos must be in jpg or gif format to be uploaded to the site. Contact me if you have something in a different format or are having problems uploading to the site.
Here's my favorite BWCAW photo in all my 4 old albums. A friend took it on Seagull on the last night of a trip in the early '90's. Don't smoke my pipe any more, but I always enjoyed that evening "Smoke" by the campfire while listening to the "Loon music." WW
"The movement of a canoe is like a reed in the wind. Silence is part of it, and the sounds of lapping water, bird songs, and wind in the trees. It is part of the medium through which it floats, the sky, the water, the shores. A man is part of his canoe, and therefore part of all it knows." Sigurd Olson "The Singing Wilderness"
Island site on western side of Crooked Lake. I have a couple other sites that I like just as much or more, but not many good pics of them. Here we are doing a dutch oven sorta thing to cook some brownies, looking off to the south east.
Rain, rain and more rain! Esther Lake September 2007 - 5 Inches in one night. Our makeshift clothesline works quite well! We also had a great island retreat where the view was impressive when the storm clouds rolled in! check out my other pics in the Journal section
This month's picture topic reminded me of something funny posted on another board a few years ago - the word "castrametation." It means "the art of setting up or laying out a camp." What a great word! And of course it lends itself to all sorts of funny puns. Try to fit it into your next trip report!
There were many great photos this month which make me pine for some time in camp.
The winner of the May Photo Contest goes to thecanoeman! Congratulations! The winner of the trip report contest is kanoes for his first but not last solo adventure! L.t. Sully picks up the bonus hat we give away each month.
The winners of the photo and trip report contest will also receive a hat and also a CD copy of the Wilderness Passages magazine and DVD.